Importance of worked examples

Sharing tips and tricks, and information on Gekko documentation and guides.
MOL

Importance of worked examples

Postby MOL » Mon May 16, 2016 2:05 pm

In order for a new user to be able to appreciate GEKKO's many facilities and options it would be important to include examples of each command and each problem solving methodology based on the same small model.

From a GEKKO course at Rikkyo University, Tokyo, Japan in April and May 2016 I would like to contribute some examples.

How would the administrator like contributors to post the model file, the datafile, the baseline generating file and the experiment defining command files? Links to files on the contributor's own website, or as text in the message field, or as attachments to the post ?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Importance of worked examples

Postby admin » Tue May 17, 2016 10:35 am

If the files are not too big, I think it is best to include them as attachments here. I've provided an example in this post: a gekko.zip file (containing a gcm, gbk and frm file). After unpacking, this simple example can be run with "RUN gekko;", which starts the gekko.gcm file. It seems only zipped files are accepted as attachments.

Putting many lines of Gekko commands inside the text field of a post risks 'polluting' the post itself, and obscuring the pedagogical intent of the post. Putting the examples on an external website is fine, if the files can stay there indefinitely, but just zipping them and attaching them to a forum post is maybe easier.

When the examples have matured, we can put them on the Gekko website, perhaps as a companion to the Guided Tour.

What do you think?

Best regards,

-Thomas Thomsen, editor/Gekko

admin
Site Admin

Re: Importance of worked examples

Postby admin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:39 pm

It seems that attaching files is problematic, so instead it is advised to either

1. Put the code inside the messages themselves (perhaps in several messages), or
2. Link to the code in a zip-file hosted/uploaded somewhere like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, or similar.

Best regards,

-Thomas Thomsen, editor/Gekko

Return to “Tips and tricks”